Monday, November 24, 2008

Dayanita Singh

Dream Villa 28Dream Villa 36
Dream Villa 27
Dream Villa 20
Sent a Letter

I have just beeing doing a spot of research about the artists exhibiting at the forthcoming Indian Highway exhibition at the Serpentine (see previous post), and I am particularly stuck by the work of Dayanita Singh. Her work, which explores ideas of time, place, and observation, is deeply affecting and penetrative. I have been feeling annoyed lately with all the pretentious conversation which clouds and complicates the process of making a piece of work. I think Singh's work appeals to me because the outcome does not become irrelevant and frivolous, but are precious objects in their own right. This is an excellent article about the artist in The Telegraph, Caluctta, India.

No comments: