Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ugh... Hayfever...



I'm sorry I haven't been posting as regularly, I have been so busy over the past few weeks. Anyway, here I am. The weather in London is glorious at the moment and I am not going to let the fact that I look like some kind of hayfeverish horror movie creature spoil it for me. So, in keeping with the subject I want to draw your attention to 'Pollen from Pine' by Wolfgang Leib which was exhibited at the Art gallery of New South Wales in 2005. He spends the spring collecting the pollen for the pieces.

“I was facinated with what pollen is in itself. Pollen has incredible colours,
which you never could paint, but it is not a pigment and its colour is only one
quality out of many, like a hand has a colour, or blood is red but it is not a
red liquid, and milk is white, but it is not a white liquid. It is the difference
between a blue pigment and the sky.”

“Milk or pollen are extremely beautiful - like the sun or the sky. And why be
afraid of beauty? Recently so many artists, especially German artist, seem to
think it has to be as ugly and as brutal as possible. Beauty is bourgeois
what a strange idea. I tried to participate in beautiful things…and this is
my great fortune.” - From 'Light Seed' catalog 1991

1 comment:

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

wow! that is really cool, but just looking at it makes me want to sneeze ;)