Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Lovely Day Out.

If I hadn't been an artist I think I would like to have been an architect, I have decided.

Today was the opening day of the new Serpentine Pavilion by Frank Gehry, I was expecting some music and dancing and a bit of a speech or something but I guess I missed it, or it wasn't for the hoi Paloi or something. Anyway, it's a beautiful structure designed to be both a place for resting and getting shade from the English sunshine or more likely rain, and a place for performance and such.


After that I went into the Serpentine Gallery to see the Richard Prince exhibition that's on there at the moment. I'm not in the greatest of moods today and found myself being unbearably irritated by the hoards of pretentious Londoners discussing the works just loud enough for everyone around them to hear how cultured they are, so I left. However, on my way out I couldn't help but admire the pieces entitled Continuation with their delicious muted and worn away surfaces which looked like a mass of tiny little scratchy drawings.


Next, I fought my way into the bookshop, spotting these two little papery gems on the way in:


Finally, I wandered around an art shop looking for something to recreate the delicious Richard Prince surfaces and then went home and found this on YouTube:

That's the end of the round up of my lovely day out. Back tomorrow! x

1 comment:

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

Wow! The pavilion is absolutely amazing... Looks like a fun day!

PS- I am going to have to look into that folding paper book :)